Volvo Group is a global brand that offers a broad range of equipment from construction, public transportation, marine, trucking, and industrial engines. Volvo Logistics is part of Volvo Group and provides logistics services across the entire supply chain.
As a part of operations, Volvo Logistics operates multiple cargo terminals where auto and truck parts and components arrive via shipping containers. Those containers must be quickly disbursed to a multitude of end destinations. These terminals house many drop areas, each having specific layouts with defined locations and timing sequences for delivery vehicles and forklift operations to disperse goods to their assigned destinations.
Volvo needed a real-time tool that could give the planner an overall vision of the terminal area, with information about each location, availability and status of the load/unload process, thus making coordination of the operation more efficient and maximizing resources.
QAT Global’s Approach
In assessing the operational needs of the client, QAT Global determined that Volvo needed a real-time tool that could give the planner an overall vision of the terminal area, with information about each location, availability and status of the load/unload process, thus making coordination of the operation more efficient and maximizing resources. It also became clear that they also need to be able to communicate individualized in-cab instructions for forklift operators and be able to track that those instructions were being followed.
QAT Global designed an application to give the user a natural vision of the business by offering a tool that could show an aerial view of the terminal, showing the layout of the different locations, and functionality that could be easily used to assign resources on the spot where the actions should take place.
- The solution allowed Volvo Logistics to improve the terminal operation by offering an easy tool to plan and follow the load/unload process, with efficient communication between all the actors involved, quick identification of delays and issues on the process.
- The average time of the process to assign resources and setup the unload process was reduced.
- The allocation of Fork Lift Trucks, important actors on process, was changed to a FIFO approach, automatically assigned by the application based on history and availability, helping on the optimal distribution of work, and leveling resources conveniently.
- With an automatic message being sent via radio to an on board computer at the Fork Lift Truck, the voice communication commands were reduced, as well as stress and misunderstandings.
- Automatic updates about the progress on the visual interface gave the planner a clear vision of occupation and current stage of the work on each and every location.
- Because QAT Global was able to provide the right skills and expertise for the job, there was a minimum amount of learning curve involved, and results were being produced almost immediately.
The product was delivered on time, with high stability, and has been used for almost 10 years with low maintenance effort, due to the smart and flexible way the solution was designed, allowing the user to define custom layouts for terminal areas, and life cycle for the unload process.