Leading Utility Solutions Provider Selects QAT Global for Data Warehouse Solution
Modernizing with US and Brazil Cross Sourcing
- Utility Solutions Provider
- International Locations
- Batch processing
- High availability
- High System Criticality
- Smooth transition from existing system
- Improved usability and functionality
- Brazilian Offshore capability
- Multi-location team
- Scrum Methodology and Project Management
- Established Java Coding Standards, Tools, Architecture, Training, Best Practices, and Processes
- Small consulting company focused on the success of the customer
- Google Earth
- IBM Cognos
- Oracle Database
- Spring MVC
- Spring Security
- Spring WS
- SqlServer Database
The client’s company helps utilities and consumers make the most of finite water and energy resources. They deliver advanced measurement, data collection, analysis, and control products and solutions that help their customers improve operational efficiency while reducing their environmental impact.
They needed a Data Warehouse solution to replace their outdated application, written in C++. To develop the solution, the company looked to trusted partner QAT Global for Data Warehouse modernization.
QAT Global’s Approach
One of the key challenges facing the development team was that the old application had no documentation. Thus all business rules had to be derived from source code. In addition, multiple databases had to be supported (Oracle, SqlServer).
The final solution QAT Global developed was a Web application mixing a Java backend and IBM Cognos. The solution fully replaced the functionality previously available in the old application. As part of this effort, a new data warehouse star model and associated load routines were developed. The solution provided uses the QAT Global jDaptive and WebDaptive frameworks to provide a robust enterprise solution including a web-based interface front-end and enterprise-scale back-end. In addition, there were several batch components used to process data and analytics.
QAT Global was responsible for developing the Web front-end, the Java back-end, and all Cognos modules, along with the integration of the new system with an existing portal. The QAT Global team worked with the client’s internal team to develop the new database structures, load routines, and do all the testing.
The end result was a solution which:
- Allowed the client to retire its old system, which also removed the prerequisite of having a separate Windows box to host it
- Resolved previous processing bottlenecks, thus allowing larger amounts of data to be processed
- Was deployed to all of the client’s customers that were using the old application in less than a year