A Process for Defining Done in Agile Development
GATHER THE TEAM
- Get everyone together that will be on the project team.
- Collect ideas for one user story at a time.
SELECT A NOTE-TAKER
- Someone needs to be in charge of making sure all of the ideas are captured.
- Use a whiteboard or post-it notes to capture ideas.
START THE BRAINSTORMING
- Ask “What do we need to do in order to get this to the user?”
- When the initial ideas stop, ask “What else?” over and over until there is silence.
CREATE A LIST OF TASKS
- Organize the ideas into a list of tasks the lead step-by-step from getting started all the way to “done.”
- The team may be surprised at how much needs to happen!
BREAK THE LIST
- Separate the list of tasks into those that belong in the Sprint and those that are part of the implementation.
- Put the implementation tasks into a separate Sprint.
GET TO WORK!
- You did it! Congratulations!
Be sure to check out these other handy resources and information about Agile development: