Open Source Software Development Platforms – Lower TCO
Additional Benefits of Open Source Software
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership and Reduced Vendor Dependence – Applications can be downloaded for free, thus making them readily available to anyone who needs their functionality, at no upfront cost. Open Source also comes with lower execution, maintenance and debugging costs. You also don’t have to pay for expensive upgrades.
- Low Investment – In addition, virtually all open source software runs on the Apache Web Server, which in turn runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, and various other UNIX platforms. This means that your server investments can be utilized without incurring additional costs.
- Flexibility – open source software also typically has native support for many popular databases and an extensible architecture.
- Accessibility – With open source you have access to the source code, so you are free to modify the software as needed, including fixing faults and integrating applications. Proprietary or commercial software comes with significant restrictions on making changes and integrating other software.
- Redistribution – Since licenses are open, there are hardly any restrictions on the use or redistribution of the software, as well as the deployment of apps based on open source technology.
- Speed – Using open source applications and pre-packaged modules for application development can save around 30% – 40% of the development time.
Our Open Source Deployment Capabilities
- QuickStart utilizes a combination of consulting and development services to help early-stage firms identify the right combination of open source technologies for their products based on both functional and nonfunctional needs. Clients can also opt for QAT Global’s flexible open source stack to reduce time-to-market.
- WiseStart enables clients to develop products that are free from any commercial component loyalties that will eat into their profits. This offering helps clients (a) identify possible open source alternatives for existing commercial licenses and (b) migrate to that selected option.
- SimpleStart helps clients successfully scale down their products to fit within an SMB budget while maintaining a competitive edge and increasing interoperability.
- SafeStart helps developers assess the impact of each open source license on their products, thus enabling them to leverage open source without putting their products at risk.
Open source software adoption is a strategic business decision for a growing number of companies today. QAT Global works with clients to balance the value and risks of utilizing open source software in an enterprise environment.
The following two tabs change content below.
Katie Wolford is the growth marketing intern at QAT Global for Winter 2018-Spring 2019. Responsible for developing content for clients on solutions and technology issues, providing sales support, and assisting with the company's overall marketing activities.
Latest posts by Katie Wolford (see all)
- Open Source Software Development - March 26, 2019
- QAT Global’s 20-Year Club - February 20, 2019
- QAT Global Welcomes Tayler Crayne as Marketing Assistant - January 21, 2019