What is a CA Gen Upgrade?
CA Gen — is a model-based development tool that uses diagrams to produce an application. These diagrams with CA Gen code generators and runtimes are used to produce any type of custom application (Web, Client/Server, Block, Batch etc…).
- The CA Gen Tool (IDE, Encyclopedia & Build Tool) have their own infrastructure requirements
- CA Gen applications have generated code and runtime infrastructure requirements
What is involved in a CA Gen upgrade:
- Upgrade of the CA Gen Tool (IDE, Encyclopedia, Communications, & Build Tool) and all of its infrastructure components.
- A CA Gen Encyclopedia upgrades not only upgrades the CA Gen Encyclopedia software but usually requires updates to the OS & DBMS
- A CA Gen Build Tool Upgrade not only updates the CA Gen Build Tool Software and usually requires updates to the OS, DBMS, Compilers and communications software
- A CA Gen IDE upgrade not only updates the CA Gen IDE and usually updates the OS, DBMS, Compilers and communication software
- Upgrade of the CA Gen generated application and CA Gen runtimes
- Requires the upgrade of the CA Gen runtimes (any customization to the user exits), and may require full regeneration of all the application code
- Upgrade of OS, DBMS, Communications, and transaction monitor are usually necessary
Why are the CA Gen Upgrades Important?
- CA Gen applications tend to be large unique custom mission critical customer applications
- CA vendor support is critical to the business for these applications. These applications can not be down for an extended period of time if it all.
- 3rd Party vendor support also critical, IBM, Oracle, Microsoft etc… CA Gen 8.6 supports:
- Windows 10
- Visual Studio 2015
- Java 1.8 certification (update 60 or later)
- MS SQL Server 2014 SP1 certification
- Oracle 12c for CSE
- WebSphere MQ 8.0
- CICS Transaction Gateway 9.1
- Oracle Tuxedo 12.1
- New Features in CA Gen 8.6 include:
- Removal of Version Number from Distributed Runtimes
- Visual Studio Version No Longer an Issue
- Filters Added to Toolset / CSE Client Dialogs
- Expressions No Longer Show Unnecessary Views
- z/OS COBOL Runtimes Compiled with COBOL 5
- Free Version
- z/OS Runtime DLLs
- Software Support
- Any prior versions have been out of support for some time
- The CA Gen 8 version support ended 8/2016.
- CA Gen 7.5 support ended 12/31/2008.
- CA Gen 7.0 support ended 06/30/2007.
- CA Gen 6.5 extended support ended 6/30/2008.
Product Brief from CA for Release 8.6
How Can You Minimize The Risk Of An Upgrade?
Release 8 is a very important release, bringing with it numerous strategic features that significantly enhance the way you use CA Gen and improve the applications it generates. These features include CA Gen Studio—Modern Developer Tool Framework, Web View—Web 2.0 Application Support, Expanded Web Services and SOA Support, and Support for CA Mainframe Software Manager, making it hard to argue against any shop upgrading. Acknowledging the need to make this transition is one thing, how to actually do it is another. There are few bigger headaches to the mature Gen shop than an upgrade. It brings up a variety of questions and concerns:
- Never a good time to do it.
- Who can we trust on our staff to lead it?
- Where will they find the time?
- How long will it take for our people to do it?
- Will it go smoothly even with our best people on it?
- Can I afford the risk of this upgrade not going well?
- Most CA Gen applications are large, unique, custom, mission-critical customer applications and cannot afford to be without vendor support (CA, IBM, Oracle, MS etc….).
- Have not performed a CA Gen upgrade in years and may lack the necessary knowledge & experience.
- Experienced CA Gen personnel are difficult to find, especially those with the necessary upgrade and infrastructure knowledge. Your current vendor and your traditional IT partners also lack this knowledge.
- The risks and associated costs are too high to take a chance on a failed upgrade. Finding a quality vendor with experience and reliability is key.
- Vendor field support is non-existent and phone support alone is a risky approach for this type of upgrade.
How can you take away the headache and mitigate the risk of your Gen upgrade? That’s simple — go straight to the experts! QAT Global has been a part of more successful CA Gen upgrades than any service provider in North America. We will mitigate your risk by providing custom solutions for each individual client that are backed by experienced leadership and specialized support.
QAT Global will put together a plan that is right for you. The delivery will be customized to meet your shops needs, with a staffing model providing for QAT’s total ownership of the project or a cooperative effort to include members of your team. QAT Global can provide you with consulting services for any or all parts of the upgrade, including analysis of the current system, preparation for the upgrade, testing, and performing the upgrade itself. QAT Global also provides training services to enable users to extract the maximum value from the latest features.
Leverage the experience of this team of Upgrade Specialists for your upgrade. Get it done in record time, for perhaps less than the cost of doing it all yourself, all the while keeping your staff busy doing what they do best.
Why QAT Global for Your CA Gen Upgrade?
QAT Global has the broad capabilities to help you address your most pressing business issues. We listen to your specific requirements and align our consulting services with your business, marketplace, industry and cultural needs to help you achieve your goals and maximize ROI.
- QAT Global understands the common pitfalls of CA Gen upgrade because we have performed CA Gen upgrades on every supported CA Gen development and deployment platform
- Your Partner of choice, in North America, to perform CA Gen upgrades
- Our 20+ years of CA Gen consulting guarantee that there will be no surprises
- Our unique relationship with CA allows us to expedite any product issues that may arise
- QAT Global maintains previous CA Gen encyclopedia versions within the Omaha Development Center for support purposes for years to come
- No other company devotes the level of technical CA Gen back-up and support for its projects and clients as does QAT Global
- QAT Global can tailor a CA Gen upgrade project to meet most budget and staffing needs
- We are nimble and keenly aware that our customers want intelligent solutions with aggressive ROI
- Minimize the risk of introducing new technologies
- Customer driven application development
- Gain high-quality, reliable solutions fast
- Enjoy unsurpassed customer service
What is included in QAT Global CA Gen Upgrade:
- Analysis and project planning
- Upgrade technology pathfinder
- DBMS installation and data population
- Conversion of models and schemas
- Installation, configuration and tuning for the CA Gen application, runtime and tool components
- Training developers and support personnel on the new release of CA Gen
- Performance and Process optimization
QAT Global will put together a plan that is right for you. The delivery will be custom customized to meet your shops needs, with a staffing model providing for QAT’s total ownership of the project or a cooperative effort to include members of your team. QAT Global can provide you with consulting services for any or all parts of the upgrade, including analysis of the current system, preparation for the upgrade, testing, and performing the upgrade itself. QAT Global also provides training services to enable users to extract the maximum value from the latest features. Remember, QAT Global can tailor a CA Gen upgrade project to meet most budget and staffing needs.